Magnolia 'J.C. Williams'
M. sprengeri 'Diva' seedling x
M. sargentiana var.
Flowers: The shade of the flower is subtly different from that of M.
History: This cross was made in 1965 by Philip Tregunna, head gardener at Caerhays from 1956-1996. The first flowers appeared in 1975. The hybrid was first offered for sale by Burncoose in 1997.
The plant is named after J.C. Williams (1861-1939) who founded the modern garden at Caerhays.
Location: Caerhays Castle, 2009
Photo: Stephen Lyus